We can all do well to examine our own attitude when we sit down to meditate or during other regular spiritual practices, such as simple self-reflection during the day. Today I examined mine and this is what I reminded myself of.
- Awareness. Bring light to every shadow.
- Patience. There is no rush because there is no time.
- Compassion. Be kind and don't get hung up on faults.
- Certainty. Allow the mind to be firm and established in Truth only - that which does not depend on anything else. Know that it is always possible at every moment, even if it does not immediately appear as such.
- Earnestness. Make practice important...
- Calmness. ... but not too important.
- Doubt. It confuses the mind and disperses focus.
- Distraction. It wastes energy and prevents seeing things as they are.
- Judgement. Just observe rather than labeling good or bad, or thinking in terms of "improving yourself".
- Preaching. Others will find their way, focus on yourself and simply be their light.
- Perfectionism. There is no specific ideal way to be. There is really nothing to attain.